Maybe it’s just me but when it comes to planning a wedding there are seemingly an infinite number of things to think (or worry) about: table cloths, guest lists and bridesmaid dresses.Cupcakes, flowers and in-laws. Oh my!
Planning a wedding, balancing a demanding full-time job and trying to get into the best shape of my life makes it challenging to spend quality time with my husband-to-be who doesn’t share my affinity for Pinterest-inspired place cards or cute succulent favors for our guests.
A recently married friend of ours shared her “secret to success” for making it through wedding planning without losing touch with one another: working out together! Whether you and your honey are into running, boot camp or yoga here are a five of my favorite things about couple’s workouts:
- Accountability – after a meeting packed day and a traffic ridden commute I’d rather sit on the couch with a glass of wine than hit the gym. Working out with fiancé keeps me accountable. We pre-schedule all of our workouts for the week which helps us stay on track. If he can hit the gym after work, so can I!
- Bonding time – Often times our few precious hours after work turn into full blown wedding planning sessions. Guess what? We both need a break from the talks about vendors and budgets, so we’ve established the gym as our “no wedding talk zone.” Our nightly sweat session outs give us a chance to catch up and reconnect while making sure that mermaid-style dress fits just right. Win-win!
- Sense of accomplishment – my fiancé is my biggest supporter, be it encouraging me to apply for a new kick-ass job or cheering me on through one more set of push-ups, with him by my side I feel like I can do anything. Tackling a killer workout together gives us that boost of confidence that we can navigate any challenge that life throws at us!
- Mood boosting fun – sometimes the stress of wedding planning puts me in a less than stellar mood but after a good workout I am always in a better place. I’m not sure if it’s due to the fact that exercise releases endorphins or because I thoroughly enjoy watching my fiancé do pull-ups (hello, arms!), either way I suggest you get involved!
- Self-Confidence – our regular workouts are helping us both slim down and tighten up, which is awesome for our wedding photos and our self-confidence. Bikini clad honeymoon? Bring it on!
Join our newsletter for more great articles, workouts to try, places to eat, things to cook and books to read.
Whitney Haggerson is a California native who is learning to love the Pacific Northwest in all its fleece-y glory. She is on a quest to learn to love exercise rather than doing so as a means of offsetting her peanut butter addiction. Whitney works as an Internal Consultant for LifeWise and lives in Green Lake with her soon-to-be husband and their chocolate Lab.